Saturday, October 31, 2009

Why Do I Charge?

As a school, we are moving toward an informal non-profit model of business.

I have always preferred to teach by donation. The best times of my life have been spent in a park with a donation box. Somehow, I always got enough money to survive.

When I moved to a certain part of the country, I discovered that this didn't work. I would work all day and get about $10. To some people in this country, if you don't charge, it isn't worth anything. People were happy to pay for my classes, so I had to start charging.

I'm trying to return to my old way of doing things. I sank about $2,000 into equipment and software for the first of the training manuals. When I have recouped that, I will drop the price of the manual to only a little over the printing cost, and hope that people will donate enough to keep me writing and filming.

In the long term, if you all show the interest, I will be creating training material for other teachers. There are a lot of excellent teachers out there who have no idea how to go about creating books and videos, so I think we can help.

No comments:

Post a Comment